Thursday, February 22, 2007

Feasting with Teenagers

I have posted before about helping children to develop a love for feasting. I have, however, been reluctant to address teenagers, because I do not have them. I have, although, been observing my friends that do. My husband has also taught high school for 15 years and we spend a lot of time with teenagers. I will attempt to give some suggestions. Forgive me if they are completely unrealistic. First, You may have to lower your standard. I agree with Doug Wilson when he says that if they hate the standard then lower the standard. This certainly does not mean Biblical standards. When it is a constant fight to accomplish a chore, we do not change the chore, but we may change the way in which it is accomplished. If your teenagers hate feasting, change your liturgy. Maybe you could take turns inviting the families of their friends over to feast with you. Have game night afterwards and pit family against family or kids against adults. Have fondue just to be different. If you live in a culture that does not do this than make your house the place to go. Have a family dinner and then host movie night. I do know of some families tha allow their kids to go out after dinner. We live in such an individualistic society, that children have been programed to think they cannot have fun as a family. They think they have to be separate from their parents. The key will be changing this thought. You will have to take baby steps to achieve this. I will post more on this at another time. My thoughts are really flowing now and I do not have time to go on. If you have experience with teenagers and have some advice, please share.

6 comments:

Anne said...

I have one teenager, and a soon-to-be one. They have enjoyed Sabbath dinners so far, especially because I try to make it the only time I make special things or buy their favorite ice cream. Lately their favorite thing has been twice-baked potatoes. They're not hard to make, but because I've only made them for Sabbath dinners lately, they associate them with that. We try to eat healthy during the week, so a splurge on potatoes with cheese, bacon, and sour cream is a big deal. Games after dinner have been a big hit, too.

Julie said...

Thanks for the comment, Anne. I have a friend that does the same. It is the only time her family has soda. My son LOVES twice baked potattoes. He is adopted and has asked for them for his adoption day dinner next week.

Anonymous said...

Can someone please post their recipe for twice-baked potaoes? Thank you! KM

Julie said...

-Mix olive oil and salt together and then coat the potato in the mixture.
-Bake potatoes until they are just about done. Maybe 45 min at 400 degrees.
-Cut the top off of the potato and gently scoop out the middle.
-Mix in sour cream, butter, cheese,and crushed bacon
-Put the potato mixture back in the potato and bake for another 20 to 30 minutes at 350

Anne said...

That's pretty much my recipe, too, except the cheese & bacon, along with chives, go on the top of ours and not mixed in.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, both! I'll try this idea soon. It sounds tasty!