Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Why do We Feast? Part 3

Another reason our family feasts is because we just like the time it forces us to carve out of our week to devote to the family. I am thinking the entire week about how not only to make this a special time that prepares us for worship and how to set the day aside for God, but I am also thinking about each member of my family. I think of ways to include everyone in the celebration. From helping prepare the food, making center pieces, setting the table, and giving input about the after dinner festivities. I want this to be an exciting night for the entire family. My desire is that everyone would look forward to coming together to celebrate Christ. I realize this may sound overwhelming. It really is not. It does not require a detailed written out agenda. It simply means as you are thinking about your feast through the week, make sure you are taking mental notes to include everyone. As my son gets older my husband has allowed him to do some of the scripture reading. This is a great way to include the boys. We have also allowed him to be more involved in planning the after dinner fun. His suggestions range from just playing football or something in the yard to going out for ice cream or a game of Putt-Putt. Above all I just want to be sure they all feel included and are enjoying themselves. It defeats the purpose if it is something they dread.

No comments: