Wednesday, April 4, 2007

I'm Back

Things have been extremely hectic around here. I was thinking things would start to slow down, but looks as if that does not happen anymore. As our life gets busier, I am more than ever seeing the need to set the Sabbath aside as a special time to leave everything else alone and focus on Christ. I was talking to an Amish friend this week and she reminded me that as "Englishers" we are so busy with all of the unnecessary things that we forget to stop and be thankful for God's creation. I am not becoming Amish, but in my conversation with her I did feel a need to evaluate the things in my life and categorize them as necessary and unnecessary. I have determined that I will always be busy, but I will try to stop make excuses for letting the unnecessary spill over into the Sabbath. I am not a legalistic person. If you see me make a quick stop at the grocery store on Sunday or something else not deemed Sabbath worthy, please do not judge me. I am not perfect. I just want my children to know that the God we serve is worth laying everything else aside to give Him His day. Any thoughts on this?

3 comments:

Anne said...

Thanks for this post. I have felt so overwhelmed lately. Some of it is just part of life (moving into a new house and going to the mainland for a death in the family, getting sick), but some is of my own making and poor planning. Periodically I need to re-evaluate my schedule and commitments, and I think I need to do that again now. I need to say NO a lot more.

Now that we're back home, I'd like to get back into our Sabbath dinner tradition. It's a good way to "reset" our buttons, I think, and remind us of why we're here in the first place.

Anonymous said...

Interesting what Anne said about the Sabbath dinner 'resetting' our buttons. I wonder if that is a good thing to keep in mind every week. Perhaps our week should 'hinge' around the Sabbath meal. Somewhat of tithe, so to speak. Meaning that if we set aside this one meal to honor God and try to make it really special then the rest of our week may go more smoothly because we started out right. Does that make sense? I'm new to this Sabbath meal idea, so forgive me if I'm unclear (or worse, disrespectful!)
Sandy
homeschoolblogger.com/fallinglikerain

Julie said...

Thanks for your responses , ladies. I think your right about resetting our buttons. Sandy, I believe doing this on a weekly basis is great. Due to illnesses and being out of town, we have not feasted for a couple of weeks. I can certainly tell the difference when that is missing. Because feasting takes planning, I have to make time for it through out the entire week. Therefore, I find myself saying no more to other things that just cannot fit in. When I know we will not be feasting, I am not as good at saying no, because I feel I have more time. When our weeks have hinged on our feast and preparation for worship, there is certainly a difference in our home.