Tuesday, April 17, 2007

This Week

We had a great time feasting with our friends this weekend. The food seemed to go over well. We had a lot of fun pulling out our table for the first time and setting it. I will post a picture soon. I am thinking about this weekend's feast now. I think I will do a peach glazed salmon, asparagus, and couscous. I already have the salmon and a peach jam to glaze it with. Couscous is inexpensive and really good when you put some sauce from your meat in it. I also like to sprinkle some feta cheese on top. Because I have shopped sales, I already have most of the ingredients on hand and will not have to spend a lot this week. Careful planning and sale shopping have allowed us
to feast on weekly basis and enjoy entertaining. Enjoy the salmon recipe. The peach salsa goes great with it and makes for a beautiful presentation. Just put the salmon on a platter and place the salsa around the edges of the salmon.


4 (4 to 6-ounce) Alaska salmon steaks or fillets
1/4 cup peach jam or orange marmalade
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
2 large bell peppers (any color)*, seeded and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1. Preheat broiler or grill to medium-high heat.
2. Place salmon on a non-stick or vegetable cooking spray-coated baking or broiler sheet.
3. In a small bowl, blend jam, soy sauce, cayenne pepper and ginger. Brush glaze on salmon. Place sliced vegetables on baking sheet, brushing lightly with oil and season with salt and pepper.
4. Grill or broil 5 to 7 inches from heat, turning vegetables once, about 10 to 12 minutes, or until salmon flakes with a fork.

Makes 4 servings.

*Zucchini, leeks or squash may be substituted for peppers.


Peach Salsa

2 ripe, but firm medium peaches
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup diced red and/or green bell pepper
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon (or to taste) minced jalapeno pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste

4 comments:

Anne said...

We rarely have peaches here, and when we do, they're knotty, dried-up little things. (Maybe since I'm from Georgia, I just have high peach standards!) I wonder what could be substituted for the peaches. Mango?

Julie said...

Anne,
I think mangos would be great. I am planning to try some mango recipes this summer. I bought one last weekend, but it was not very good. I have also heard that Apricot preserves makes a great glaze for salmon. My friend used as apricot pecan preserve which she purchased from Abondante Living. She says her husband said it was the best salmon he ever had.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your week with us. It is a real help to me. We had our first feast the night before Easter and it was a great success! This week I'm doing a Mexican theme. The kids are all helping. Here's praying it will go well!
Sandy
homeschoolblogger.com/fallinglikerain

Julie said...

Sandy,
I am glad your family is enjoying feasting. Your Mexican feast sounds fun. I would love some of the recipes if you do not mind. My baby is a Cinco de Mayo baby. He will be one in a few weeks. With my husband being a Spanish Teacher we HAVE to celebrate with a Mexican feast.