Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Baby Steps

I was talking to a friend yesterday who is just starting to feast with her family. We talked about the importance of starting with baby steps. I would never desire someone to become exhausted by trying to accomplish everything at once. I did that at first. After a few months of on and off, stressful feasting, we stopped.After a conversation I had a conversation with Nancy Wilson she encouraged me to try again, and focus on making it special for the children. Her philosophy is that it is all about the children developing a love for the day. Do not stress right away about starting traditions. They come naturally. Do not stress about finding new recipes. Start with one a week. I always make sure there is something on the table that everyone loves. My kids are not picky eaters, so this is not difficult. If yours are than make their favorite dessert. We do not fuss with the kids about cleaning their plates on this night. They do not realize it, but if they just wanted bread and dessert I would probably let that happen. Just don't tell them! Do not feel the pressure to immediately have guests every week. I still do not do that. I think I have said before that some weeks we prefer to celebrate with just our family. Develop a routine and over time things will just fall into place. Remember it is about developing a love for the Sabbath. Do not put so much pressure on yourself that you come to dread the day.

Julie

No comments: