Friday, February 9, 2007

Help for Working Moms

I have been asked by a reader to post some advice to women working outside the home. First I'll just say that I do not work outside the home, though sometimes I do get bogged down with many things that keep me away. I am not sure how realistic my advice will be,as I am not experienced with this. I believe that for many who work, Saturday is a catch up day. It is spent cleaning house and running errands. I think the same rules would apply as when I have a Saturday that I am not home or a busy Friday that does not allow for preparation. One of the first things I would say is, to pull this off you will have to think about this early in the week and prepare through out the week. I try to know my menu a week ahead, so I can prepare when I have a few extra minutes through the week. If you are doing potatoes on Thursday, chop some extra and let them sit in water in the refrigerator until your feast. All you will have to do is drain, season and roast. I have a great recipe for a mashed potato casserole that can be made ahead of time. You will have to think about recipes that are quick and easy. I would suggest your main dishes be meats that can go in the crock pot or you can put in the oven and not have to think about again. Purchase bagged salads and just add some of your families favorite toppings and dressing. These are just a few things off the top of my head. I will look for few make ahead recipes and try to think some more on this.

Julie

2 comments:

sm said...

Thanks for the advice, Julie. I am enjoying reading your blog and would love to hear from others who are feasting. I have been having trouble getting started. How do you get the rest of the family excited about the idea?
One thing that I would reccommend is writing down everything you know how to cook. Include vegetables, main dishes, sides and desserts. When those days come along and I have not prepared like I should have I check to see what I have and what I know how to make. I refer to my list when I make out my weekly menus and on the days I've neglected my menu making.

Julie said...

SM
Thanks for your response. Great idea!As for getting the family excited. I did find it a bit awkward when we first began. It felt kind of forced. We soon discovered that the best traditions just happen naturally. Some of our traditions are just silly, but it would not be a Sabbath feast without them. I would say to find something very special that your family likes to do and only do it at this celebration. We only have dessert at our Sabbath feast. For the most part it is the only time that we play board games. This would be a start. I hope it helps. Like you, I would love to hear ideas from others who are feasting.