Friday, January 26, 2007

How to make it Special

I have been reading and talking to others about ways to make feasting in general special.Many who have been doing this longer than I, say that making your weekday meals more simple is one way. I have posted on this a little before. For us we did this because financially we could not swing big meals 6 nights a week and then added to that a feast. As I also said before, I needed to free up some time in the week to prepare for Saturday night. Today I will be cooking my side dishes for tomorrow, therefore we are eating leftovers from last night. I usually cook one pot of soup or chili once a week. We can get two meals out of those. Someone said to me"you spend your entire week making sacrifices and planning for one meal". Yes, I do, but I see it as more than a meal. That meal is the start of the day that my family and I look forward to the whole week. That meal makes us stop and forget everything else, to focus on worshipping our savior. That meal encourages conversations with my children that would not normally happen. Preparing the entire week for the Sabbath has made it a very special day in our home. A day to look forward to, just as you do Christmas or Thanksgiving. If you are new to this, give it time. It took us a good year to get in the groove. Now that we are, I would not change it. Seeing my children's love of the Sabbath makes everything worth the sacrifices and work. I would recommend the book A Return to Sunday Dinner. It is not about Sabbath feasting, but the same principles apply.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.